The world is full of humor, happiness and wonder.
The world is also doomed by ridiculous amounts of greed, hypocrisy and suffering.
Here, the two interact in harmony.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Who doesn't love deviled eggs?

Estimated reading time: 1 minute, 42 seconds


A barbecue over the weekend reminded of a food that immediately went to the top of my list of Most Underrated Foods: Deviled eggs.

Give me one example of a potluck or barbecue where the plate of deviled eggs wasn’t the first thing to go. While one person will take a spoonful of baked beans but skip the au gratin potatoes, the next person will take some au gratin and skip the baked beans. But they will both take a deviled egg.

People love these things. They shuffle through the line and if there are any deviled eggs left, people will take at least one but likely two or three without thinking.

We eat them in two bites, remark how we love deviled eggs and how we haven’t had them in a while and then somehow forget about them until our next potluck.

This left me scratching my head. Clearly everyone loves deviled eggs. Why aren’t deviled eggs everywhere? Why aren’t deviled eggs in the pre-made food section in the deli of your neighborhood grocer or listed anywhere on anyone’s list of favorite foods? Why aren’t deviled eggs included at all-you-can-eat buffets or featured on appetizer menus? Tell me you wouldn’t order that.

Why does it take a get-together meal for people to make deviled eggs? You might say it’s because they’re difficult and time-consuming to make. And you’d be wrong. Sure it takes 20 minutes of foresight to boil the eggs but once the eggs are boiled, it takes 10 minutes tops. Prove me wrong. Take three deviled eggs in your lunch today.

If they were sitting in front of me right now, I think I would eat at least eight deviled eggs. I bet you would too.


Up next: One of the most overrated foods in the United States

No comments: